I will also mention some pros and cons of each method, to help you decide how to make the best of your buds.
Perhaps one of the most universal and traditional ways to enjoy cannabis flower is rolled up and smoked in a paper, much like a cigarette, widely known as a joint. The most important thing to do when smoking from papers is to make sure the flower is broken down and distributed evenly throughout.
- When you’re done smoking, the tip you are left with can be thrown away. You won’t have to carry anything with you.
- There is no cleaning or maintenance like there would be with a reusable smoking apparatus.
- Rolling up is a process. It can be time consuming, even with practice.
- It can be messy, especially if you are not prepared. Most people will need some sort of flat surface to roll at, making it sometimes inconvenient to roll on-the-go.
(Check out our post How to Roll a Joint to get starte!)
Another way to smoke your flower is with a basic pipe. Pipes come in a variety of materials like wood, glass, and ceramic, among others. With pipes, your flower doesn’t need to be as mindfully prepped as with papers. Though you do still need some room for air to pass through as you light it. Just put some flower in the correct compartment, light, and inhale. That’s it!
- It’s quick, and easy. Packing a pipe is as simple as it sounds. No lengthy process involved.
- It can be quite stylish. With a large selection of pipes, you can get one that both fits your needs, and matches your style.
- It must be maintained. With time, a pipe accumulates residue that must be cleaned.
- Some pipes give a harsh smoking experience, especially with small pieces.
3. Water Pipes
Much like your basic pipes, water pipes also do not require much flower preparation and come in a variety of shapes and sizes. The difference between a water pipe and the basic pipe is just as it sounds… water! Water pipes are designed in a way that channels the smoke through a chamber of water before you inhale.
- The smoking experience with a water pipe is far less harsh than both basic pipes, and papers. The smoke passes through water, often cooling its temperature, prior to inhalation.
- Just like the basic pipe, it requires little prep time for your flower.
- Water pipes are inconvenient on-the-go. Filling it with water, smoking, and then dumping the water, is far more complicated than a basic pipe and perhaps even papers.
- The water must consistently be changed, and the piece has to be cleaned and maintained.
There are vapes that are made specifically for dry herb, instead of the liquid/oil vaporizers that many of us are familiar with. I personally have mixed feelings about herb vapes, as I have never found one that works well for me. However I cannot leave them off the list, as there are people who love their herb vapes. Though keep in mind, there may be some trial and error involved when picking out a vape model that works for you.
- Vapes are relatively discrete, especially given their popularity these days with tobacco and nicotine users, in addition to the variety of cannabis pens out there, you will very likely blend in with other smokers.
- It allows you to smoke on-the-go, and is perhaps the most convenient of all the methods mentioned here, once you find a model that works for you.
- It will require maintenance. Cleaning, part swaps, and troubleshooting comes with the territory.
- Like any other electronic device, you will need to make sure your vape is charged, and/or that you have a charging device around when you need it.
5. DIY Edibles
This will far and beyond be the most complicated way to enjoy your flower, but it deserves mentioning. I recommend looking up recipes online before just sprinkling your flower in your favorite foods. The cannabinoids need a chance to bond with certain ingredients, so make sure to do your research.
- Edibles have a reputation for having a stronger and prolonged effect on the body.
- It can be so yummy! There’s no smoke involved, and you can make the recipe to your liking, making it the most enjoyable method on this list.
- Making edibles is the most time consuming way to enjoy your flower, between prep and cook time.
- It can be complicated. There’s science at work here. You have to know the cannabinoids are going to bond with the ingredients you are using in your recipe, so do your research!
And there you have it, five ways to enjoy your CBD flower!
Written By Alyssa Sexton
Image by Thought Catalog from Unsplash